Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Family Tree

At some point we have all ventured down the genealogy path trying to put together a family tree.  I think I attempted once when I was about 15 and once again a few years back.  I am hoping that I can fill in a few more blanks throughout the year, hopefully through heartfelt talks with family learning things that I never knew before.

My grandmother must have had some amazing stories, although she never talked to us about her life.  When she passed away a few years ago I realized that all of those memories were lost with her.  I never knew my grandfather as he died shortly after my first Christmas.  We were slightly estranged from the other side of my family so I hardly know anything about them.

It's hard to get any of my family to talk about their history.  The last time I saw my uncle before he died just over a year ago he shared a few stories from his younger years. One being how when he was a teenager he had a crush on my mom and that he threw a party just to get her to come, but my dad made a move first that evening.  I'm not sure if my dad ever even realized he stole her!

On occasions my sister and I start chatting about our childhood and it is crazy how differently we remember things.  I think that she was a bully, she thinks that I was manipulative, and we both think the other was the favorite.

I still have a lot of blanks and I am not sure if all of the information is accurate, but I'll get there someday.


No comments:

Post a Comment